Tuesday 18 December 2012

Book Learning # 84 What Happened by Scott McClellan


I found this book in a box whilst sorting out other books around the house. It was one of those low priority, nagging jobs that had been waiting about six months to get done.
I picked it up and sifted through. By no means the best written of political accounts I have ever read but engaging enough. I was interested by his move from democrat to republican (a move many made during the 1980s) and his impressive career rise (Press secretary before 40).
I am sure that when this was first published it made an impact, I am sure that his viewpoint was  pretty insightful and interesting.
Right now it reads as a dated account of history. The narrative is simple enough but doesn't really hold your attention too long.
It tells us a few straightforward things about GWBush that we had pretty much already known.
He is a straightforward type of guy. Not super bright but not dim. Deferred to those around him, especially Rumsfeld and Cheney.

File under 'I cant wait for the Christmas books'


No comments: